Where was Westlake, Idaho located? Here are a few Maps of interest for your review.

IDAHO MAPS

Westlake, Idaho is located in North Central Idaho, near the Southern border of the Nez Perce Indian Reservation, not far from the Breaks of the Salmon River. The following maps will help you with the towns location, that is best expressed as between Lewiston, Idaho to the Northwest and Grangeville, Idaho to the Southeast.

The map above, from an old "Esso" road atlas, clearly shows Westlake, Idaho and it's relationship to Lewiston to the Northwest and Grangeville, to the Southeast. The State of Washington is shown in green on the left side of the map. Notice the Salmon River to the South of Westlake and the very pronounced "Ox Bow" in the river. W.C. Lipps had two 160 acre homesteads about three miles East of the "Ox Bow" in 1899 and in 1908.

The map above, from the 1996 Bureau of Land Management OROFINO (ISBN-0-607-88151-8) shows the magnificent "Ox Bow" of the Salmon River and the (2) Homesteads owned by W.C. Lipps, 5.6 miles Southwest of Westlake and 5.0 miles West of Keuterville, Idaho. These descriptions can be referenced on the Bureau of Land Managemant site discussed in the IDAHO BASICS Section or simply go to (LAND PATENTS) to search the W.C. Lipps documents. He will be listed as "Willie C. Lipps" on the Search Land Patents site.

 ALIQUOT  SECTION  TOWNSHIP  RANGE  STATE - COUNTY
 NE 11 31-N 2-W IDAHO - LEWIS

The first W.C. Lipps Homestead (September 30, 1899) Land Description is listed above. It is document #1805 and was 160 acres. The Accession Serial number is #016156.

 ALIQUOT  SECTION  TOWNSHIP  RANGE  STATE - COUNTY
E*NW  14  31-N  2-W IDAHO - LEWIS
NESW  14  31-N  2-W IDAHO - LEWIS
NWSE  14  31-N  2-W IDAHO - LEWIS

The second W.C. Lipps Homestead (November 5, 1908) Land Description is listed above. It is document #6969 and was 160 acres. The Accession Serial number is #27440.

This old Bureau of Land Management Map shows Westlake and Morrow, Idaho. Notice that Morrow was in Lewis County and Westlake was in Idaho County. These towns, about a mile apart, competed with each other beginning in the late 1800's. Morrow was often referred to as Morrow(town), but was Morrow officially. The diagonal line shows the boundary for the Nez Perce Indian Reservation, about a mile away from each town.

Additional maps of the Westlake area will be added in the future.


Return to Westlake Home Page
Last Updated: June 3, 2004